Political writing and design
- Electoral material for EU politicians. My role: I designed the brochure and wrote all text except Linda McAvan’s biography.
- Detailed fact sheet intended for doorstep campaigners. My role: I designed the sheet, including the graphics, and wrote all text.
- Guidelines for writers in UK political debate. My role: I wrote these on request for the EU referendum campaign (for which I was a consultant), intended to help writers unfamiliar with the EU debate, especially journalists.
- Richard Corbett MEP. My role: I developed and designed this site, based on WordPress, and wrote the majority of text when it was created a few years ago. Lots more content has been added by my successor since then and the structure has been greatly modified, but the design has not changed and about half the content is mine.
Science writing and design
- Brochure for research consortium. My role: I designed the brochure (except the organisation’s logo) and wrote all text.
- Another research brochure. My role: I designed the brochure and edited the text based on existing material provided by academics.
- Article for University of York research magazine. My role: I researched and wrote this article.
- Leaflet on sustainable development. My role: I wrote and edited this text, based on an older publication and a large amount of supplied material.
Games writing and design
- Dized contract work. I wrote and edited the rules for multiple popular games on the Dized app.
- Rulebook sample 1. I edited and designed this rulebook from the ground up (based on the rules for a game I didn’t design, obviously) for a client in the UK.
- Rulebook sample 2. I edited the text for this rulebook.
- Rulebook sample 3. I wrote and edited this rulebook (a long time ago).
- Rulebook sample 4. I wrote these rules to specification.
- Rulebook sample 5. I edited and laid out this rulebook.
- Rulebook sample 6. I wrote these rules to specification.
- Rulebook sample 7. I wrote and designed this rulebook.
- Game box design. I designed this.
- Magazine article on murder mysteries. My role: I wrote this.
- First part of an extended essay on limericks. Just for fun, obviously.
- Rulebook and magazine layouts. My role: These are my designs (I did them as freelance work).
- Designs for an online store. My role: These are my designs (I did them as freelance work).
Strategy and planning
- Communications plan for a research consortium. My role: I wrote this. Note that this is an early draft, so there are a few gaps.
- Communications strategy for a medical school. My role: I wrote this.
- Styleguide. This was intended for academics and other non-communications personnel, to help them produce good quality writing. My role: I wrote it.
- Doorstep EU. Originally intended for doorstep campaigners in the UK’s EU referendum, this app provided daily in-depth analysis of the main EU-related stories in the British media. By the final weeks of the campaign it had over 20,000 users — including, I later learned, the majority of Labour MPs, plus many BBC journalists, MEPs and activists. The app still exists, though it’s a shadow of its former self and I no longer manage it. My role: I designed, built, published and updated this app from scratch. I am not a developer, but I used a system intended for non-developers to create the app (and learned some basic coding), so I was able to do all the work in-house.
- Exhibition materials for a research project. My role: I designed and wrote the text. I didn’t take the photos, obviously.
- Political speech for a Brexit event in London, 2016. My role: I wrote the speech.